KVM on USB drops won't work in Windows 10

The long story:  THIS IS NOT A FASTRING PROBLEM.  IT IS A  BUILD 10240 PROBLEM. 

About October 1, 2015 I noticed messages saying USB device not supported.  This was on a USB 16gb thumb drive.  The next morning my Windows 10 build 10240 and 1 32bit fastring and 1 64bit fastring  systems could not be accessed via a Trendnet TK-407k KVM that uses 1 cable to transmit usb signals to 4 different computer.

I read a number of comments in the community about KB3093266 and my update history reflected an installation date of 09-30-2015 for that download.

I uninstalled KB3093266 along with all of the updates for September.

This seemed to fix my problem along with UNINSTALL each of the USB drivers in DEVICES and do a restart.  It worked.  Not sure which solution solved the problem:  Uninstall USB or Uninstall KB3093266.

But I do know what caused the problem:  KB309266.

Today, October 5th, my KVM could not be used again.  Update history showed that 

offending update, KB3093266 was reinstalled.

A comment in the Microsoft Community Forum said that another solution would be to remove FAST STARTUP/FAST SHUTDOWN AND TURN OFF AND TURN ON THE SYSTEM. That process did not work for my systems.

Uninstalling the KB3093266 and the USB drivers does not seem to be a solutions since Microsoft will send a new download of the update when it notices that the system does not have that update.

I have spend several 8 hour days attempting to fix this problem without luck.  ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

THE FOLLOWING IS TRENDNET SUPPORT INFORMATION--HAVE NOT TRIED YET BUT WILL DO ONE ITEM AT A TIME:

The unit is BUS powered. Please ensure you have disconnected the USB cables from the unit simultaneously so that it loses power and then reconnect it.    DONE

The KVM switch is a non-configurable appliance.   UNDERSTAND, THE IT MUST BE MICROSOFT'S PROBLEM.

Please make sure that everything is connected and seated securely to the switch. Do not place any third party hardware between the KVM and the computer. Including any type of interface converters, docking stations or extension cables.   ALL CABLES ARE DIRECT FROM KVM TO COMPUTERS

Also make sure you are using the KVM cables intended for use with this switch. It may not work with third party cables.   ALL CABLES ARE TRENDNET KVM CABLES

Download and update your computers video card drivers. You can also try uninstalling and reinstalling the mouse and keyboard drivers, preferably allowing the operating system to install generic drivers for them.    I HAVE UNINSTALLED ALL OF THE DRIVERS AND ALLOWED WINDOWS 10 TO INSTALL GENERIC DRIVERS.

Thanks in advance.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, I do also believe that it was the KB309266 which caused the problem.
After windows update, my mouse and keyboard didn't work.

But after doing a System Restore it was okay.

Then did a windows update again, and the USB devices won't work again on that certain port.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

I read a number of comments in the community about KB3093266 and my update history reflected an installation date of 09-30-2015 for that download.

I uninstalled KB3093266 along with all of the updates for September.

This seemed to fix my problem along with UNINSTALL each of the USB drivers in DEVICES and do a restart.  It worked.  Not sure which solution solved the problem:  Uninstall USB or Uninstall KB3093266.

But I do know what caused the problem:  KB309266.

Today, October 5th, my KVM could not be used again.  Update history showed that 

offending update, KB3093266 was reinstalled.

Uninstalling the KB3093266 and the USB drivers does not seem to be a solutions since Microsoft will send a new download of the update when it notices that the system does not have that update.

I have spend several 8 hour days attempting to fix this problem without luck.  ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

This is exactly the complaint that various experts have levelled at Windows 10.  No way to control/disable updates as in previous versions of Windows.  There is a work-around tool to disable specific updates & drivers, although I haven't tried this myself, as my problem was "fixed" by disabling fast startup (-although this only a work-around and isn't really a fix either).  Here is the link & instructions to the tool, which I hope works for you:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930?utm_source=twitter

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

KaptainKayos 's Fix to stop specific Windows 10 update:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930?utm_source=twitter

Thank you for the reply.  I downloaded the "fix" but have not tried it because it appears that the USB problem has gone away.  Temporarily anyway.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated January 11, 2021 Views 5,311 Applies to: